The following list of Top 10 Business Security Tips can help protect and enhance your company’s security no matter the type or size of business you may have. These basic principles apply to manufacturers, retailers, office buildings and even the sole-proprietor.
1) Develop, implement and periodically revisit your company’s security and safety plans. Have all employees sign an agreement that they will adhere to the policies and that they understand the consequences of violating those policies. Place a copy in their employment file. If you don’t have any security/safety plans, write them, (examples can be fund on the internet), or have them written for your company by a security consultant.
2) Have an emergency plan at home and your business. This should include what to do and who to notify in the case of any emergency such as fire, theft, robbery, hurricane, tornado, etc.
3) Shred EVERYTHING!!!
4) Maintain good data hygiene. Protect passwords, change them often and DO NOT write them down and leave them unsecured!
5) Install and maintain adequate locks on all doors, windows and storage areas. This includes laptops, desktop computers, PDA’s, file cabinets, etc.
6) Install and maintain adequate lighting on the exterior perimeter of your building(s). This includes back doors, loading docks and parking lots.
7) Maintain a small amount of lighting on the interior of your business after hours so that passersby such as police, security and customers can see into your business.
8) Ensure an uncluttered and unobstructed view into your business. Thieves/Burglars are attracted to businesses where they can’t be seen from the street.
9) Have all employees secure their personal belongings in their desk, file cabinet, closet or lockable container.
10) Install a chime/door bell to alert you whenever you have visitors/customers at your business.